Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions » Help with my boat

Notices

Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions If you have a question about detailing your boat with Marine 31 products or about something you saw on Ship Shape TV or in a video, please post your questions in this forum.

Help with my boat
Old 06-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #11
Mr Sunshine

Default Re: Help with my boat

Will do ... Coming down next week
Mr Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #12
smykowski

I agree with Mike, a good compound with the appropriate pad would get rid of ANY dull or hazy spots (aside from a true defect of course). At 50', I could see someone getting discouraged from the sheer size of the job at hand. At the minimum, I'd compound and follow with a one step cleaner/polish/wax, I think you'll be happy with the results. It all depends on how much time you have and how long your shoulders/arms can take the abuse.
smykowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
Mr Sunshine

I have to get down there and get you guys pictures.... I just am not sure what the cloudy areas are.(pretty sure it's not a defect).. I run my machines on this boat at least a couple days every two months or so-- 80-90%shines like glass... Part of the problem is its kind of a off beige color (like a Grady White) and just doesn't seem to shine as much as white.... I have read on the Internet that the Mequires one step is "hard to get off" it looks like that... If the flex 3401 is powerful enough to put the wool pad on and do some "cutting" I thinks it might be the tool for me.... It's well cared for and although I am not a professional I feel if its oxididized it's "light to medium" at the worse... I feel like I need the right tool,pad, and cleaner and I can get it to my satisfaction
Old 06-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
professionalpolishing

Mr. Sunshine, I think it would be smart to have both a nice high speed and a flex dual action polisher. I have worked on a number of Ocean Yachts and it always comes out better if you high speed polish with a aggressive compound, like Marine 31 gel coat heavy cut compound then high speed a polish like Marine 31 all in one or the marine 31 gloss and color restorer. Even if you use the all in one it is best to wax after, because you lose a little durability when using a one step. Your finish work can then be done with the pc or flex test first to see which one produces the best finish. Just remember to stay inside your sections 2x2 or 3x3. Do a good test spot in both of those sizes and repeat over the whole boat. Remember stay inside of your sections. Again stay inside of your sections.
professionalpolishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
Mr Sunshine

I think I will go with a rotary tool ( either the dewalt or Makita ) and the heavy cut oxidation cleaner so now I just need a opinion on the pads

1) just a wool cutting pad
2) Lake Country Kompessor Purple -- I do like foam if it will work as well over wool
3) Lake Country Foamed Wool

Any advice as to what would be best ??
Old 06-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #16
professionalpolishing

Go with the Makita or flex rotary. Wool cutting and polishing would be good. I haven't tried the purple foamed wool but I hear good things.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #17
professionalpolishing

Foam doesn't work well in gel coat because it makes to much heat and tends to leave a haze.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #18
Mr Sunshine

Thanks ... Is the flex worth the extra money vs Makita ?? Is it much better... So regular wool would be your choice .... Thanks for the help
Old 06-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #19
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Will do ... Coming down next week
Let me know what day when you have it figured out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by professionalpolishing View Post
Foam doesn't work well in gel coat because it makes to much heat and tends to leave a haze.
While I agree with the above, I'm not 100% for sure it's the heat that's the issue causing the haze. It could be more just the nature of the foam?

One thing for sure, gel-coats really like fiber pads, both wool cutting and wool finishing or polishing pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

Thanks ... Is the flex worth the extra money vs Makita ??
The Flex PE14 is my favorite rotary buffer and I'm fortunate to have the #2 serial number of production units as a gift from Bob Eichelberg the President of Flex Tools North America. My employer, Max owns the #1 production unit.

I don't say I like the Flex PE14 because Bob at Flex gave me the #2 unit I say it because I like the compact size and lightweight features.

I always reach for it first when buffing out cars and boats. Flex says you can use up to a 8" buffing pad with it but I tend to stick with 6.5" and 7" pads that we carry from Lake Country.

When you buff for extended periods of time the tool will get hot and an internal circuit that monitors heat will turn the power to the tool off until the motor cools down. I don't know of any other rotary buffer that offers this built-in safety feature. As far as lightweight, compact rotary buffers go this is my tool of choice.

When it comes to a full size model, I cut my teeth on the Makita Rotary Buffer but I did a comparison between Makita and the new DeWALT 849X and the in my opinion, the DeWALT 849X offers more features and benefit than the Makita.

I'll post my review over here today...

Old 06-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #20
Mr Sunshine

Mike

I read online the only real difference between the Flex PE 14 and Flex L 3403 was the lower speed for "jeweling" ... It also said "jeweling" is not needed with boats... Is this correct ?? If so the 3403 might work better for me... What are your thoughts