Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions » Wax or polish

Notices

Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions If you have a question about detailing your boat with Marine 31 products or about something you saw on Ship Shape TV or in a video, please post your questions in this forum.

Wax or polish
Old 06-06-2015, 04:57 AM   #1
edwardswd

Default Wax or polish

I have a new boat (2014 Tidewater 18' Bay Max). I am totally confused as to whether to wax the hull or polish it or both. Please help.
edwardswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:11 AM   #2
Addicted2Bling

Default Re: Wax or polish

For protection you wax, for correction you polish.

If the hull is looking dull, you want to polish it and then wax it. Wax just protects the finish that is already there, you cannot depend on wax to bring out the shine, that's what polish is used for.
Addicted2Bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:36 AM   #3
Dapper Don

You will want to get all off the decontaminates off of the hull first and then compound/polish any dull oxidation off before you wax. Just like Addicted2Bling stated above.
Dapper Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #4
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardswd View Post

I have a new boat (2014 Tidewater 18' Bay Max).

I am totally confused as to whether to wax the hull or polish it or both.

Please help.
Like already mentioned.... in this order...
  1. Wash
  2. Polish
  3. Wax

Or if you want to cut out a step, then instead of using a dedicated polish, (which won't add any protection), or using a non-cleaning boat wax, (that won't remove any oxidation or staining), you can use a one-step cleaner/wax.

A quality cleaner/wax will, clean, polish and wax in one step. So your process would look like this,
  1. Wash
  2. Cleaner/wax
That's two steps instead of three and the larger the boat the more appealing a one-step, also called an AIO (All-in-One), becomes.

If you don't have a DA Polisher I'd highly recommend getting one. It will do the work much faster and better than you'll ever do with your hand and a DA or dual action polisher won't harm anything on your boat.

Call Nick at 1-800-869-3011 x215 and he can answer all your questions and set you up with the right tools, pads and products to make washing, polishing and waxing your boat fast and easy while getting pro results the first time.