Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions » Replacing boat decals and pin striping

Notices

Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions If you have a question about detailing your boat with Marine 31 products or about something you saw on Ship Shape TV or in a video, please post your questions in this forum.

Replacing boat decals and pin striping
Old 04-07-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
vividtom

Default Replacing boat decals and pin striping

Hey guys!! Newbie here and I have a question for you regarding replacing boat decals....

I've just recently purchased an older boat (96' Scout 162 SportFish) on which I'm working on bringing the gel coat back to life! Needless to say, the decals and pin striping on the hull have seen better days and are peeling around the edges and look pretty bad!! I've found a source online that makes replacement OEM boat decals and I've also found replacement pin striping to match the original design and colors.

I know how to go about removing the decals using gentle heat, and I'm sure there will be ghosting, which I can use to my advantage so I can apply the new decals in the original locations.... But what about applying the new decals once the gel coat has been restored?

I would like to know at what point in the restoration process should new decals be applied? Should I apply them before the final waxing? Will the decals adhere to a freshly waxed gel coat finish?

Thanks!

-Tom
vividtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Replacing boat decals and pin striping

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividtom View Post

I would like to know at what point in the restoration process should new decals be applied?

Should I apply them before the final waxing?

Will the decals adhere to a freshly waxed gel coat finish?

Thanks!

-Tom

Hi Tom,

Welcome to Marine31Online!

Great questions!

I believe every set of directions I've ever read for applying graphics to smooth surfaces they recommend a clean, smooth wax-free surface.

We've performed one decal or "graphics R&R here in the last year. I believe we did the entire process to the gel-coat, compound, polish and wax and then wiped the area where the graphics were to be placed using a 25% solution of IPA to water.

Here's the thread,

24' Pro-Line Boat - Extreme Marine Makeover - Oxidation Removal

Lots of pictures and also check out the link to the 1999 Trans Am we did a graphics R&R to.

1999 Trans Am Extreme Makeover - Testing M101 Foam Cut Compound

It was nice having Jay here to help out as he really has the this procedure down pat.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
vividtom

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info and links to the threads!

I like the idea of wiping the area with the diluted solution of IPA, which seems like it would clear away enough of the wax to give the decal good adhesion, but not enough to completely remove the wax protection applied. I'll go with that approach and let you know how it goes!

Thanks again!

-Tom
vividtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:03 AM   #4
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividtom View Post

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info and links to the threads!

-Tom

Let us know how it goes...