Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions » how much product to use

Notices

Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions If you have a question about detailing your boat with Marine 31 products or about something you saw on Ship Shape TV or in a video, please post your questions in this forum.

how much product to use
Old 07-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
smykowski

Default how much product to use

Here's a question I'll ask, I'm sure others have wondered this as well....

How much product should you apply to a pad when compounding/polishing/etc.?

Too much can cause the product to fling, not to mention cake up your pads in a hurry....but too little probably won't get the job done AND (presumably) would be pretty hard on your pads.

I typically make an "X" on my pad with whatever product I'm using, BUT I can make a thin pattern or a thick pattern...so what should we use a rule of thumb? Or maybe there isn't an answer and it's unique depending on the scenario?

I'd be interested to hear opinions!

Thanks
smykowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: how much product to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by smykowski View Post
Here's a question I'll ask, I'm sure others have wondered this as well....

How much product should you apply to a pad when compounding/polishing/etc.?

Too much can cause the product to fling, not to mention cake up your pads in a hurry....but too little probably won't get the job done AND (presumably) would be pretty hard on your pads.

I typically make an "X" on my pad with whatever product I'm using, BUT I can make a thin pattern or a thick pattern...so what should we use a rule of thumb? Or maybe there isn't an answer and it's unique depending on the scenario?

I'd be interested to hear opinions!

Thanks

Good question...

For buffing out a 2' by 2' area an X-pattern across the face of the pad will work, don't do a full X though as the portions on the outer perimeter of the pad will simply sling off.

I actually prefer to use the 10 @ 10 technique for picking up a bead or strip of product. Problem with this is that it doesn't work well on the sides of a hull that tapers inward. So for these designs you're kind of stuck placing the product on the face of the pad.

You can always use the slowest setting of your polisher to spread the product out before bring the polisher up to speed.

Lots of guy just smear the product around on the hull before turning the polisher on and then buff but as you've probably experienced this does lead to slinging splatter as you run the edge of your pad into any substantial amount of product on the surface.

I have pictures of how to use the 10 @ 10 Technique in the car world, I'll try to get this in a Dockside Tips Video when we have our next boat detailing project on July 18th.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
smykowski

Yeah, I'd applied it to the pad and then kind of smeared it around the area to be polished. I'd be interested in this 10 @ 10 method...never heard of it. Anyone else have tips ideas, suggestions, please add to the discussion by all means

EDIT: Found your post about the technique, works quite well, I ended up employing this method by trial and error over the weekend. Since I use the bowl shaped pads, I found the 9 o'clock position ideal.
smykowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by smykowski View Post

EDIT: Found your post about the technique, works quite well, I ended up employing this method by trial and error over the weekend. Since I use the bowl shaped pads, I found the 9 o'clock position ideal.

Yep... the 10 oclock position with the bowled pads causes product sling...