Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Topside Detailing - Non-skid and molded surfaces plus smooth gel-coat surfaces » Marine 31 spray non skid wax on surface

Notices

Topside Detailing - Non-skid and molded surfaces plus smooth gel-coat surfaces Taking care of and detailing all the topside portions of the hull or watercraft

Marine 31 spray non skid wax on surface
Old 05-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #1
prkuhn

Default Marine 31 spray non skid wax on surface

Hi,

Newbie to this forum. I'm trying to find out if I can use the non skid spray wax on fiberglas surfaces other than non skid decks. I have a section of deck just in front of my windshield on a 1988 277xl Regal commodore that'sas wide aas the boat and about 36" long. This is before the non skid decking stars.

We often walk on this and it gets really slick when waxed and wet.

i do use Poliglo on the color on the sides to keep it from fading, but didn't want to use it on the deck if i don't have to.

Any advice wod be great.

Happy boatind
Paul
prkuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Marine 31 spray non skid wax on surface

Good question and one that comes up from time to time.

If you're walking on this smooth hard surface and waxes are already making it slippery when it's wet then I'd say "no" don't use our Non-Skid Clear Sealant for this area.

It's really designed for molded-in non skid surfaces.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
prkuhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Marine31 View Post
Good question and one that comes up from time to time.

If you're walking on this smooth hard surface and waxes are already making it slippery when it's wet then I'd say "no" don't use our Non-Skid Clear Sealant for this area.

It's really designed for molded-in non skid surfaces.

I've already removed all the wax with a Mequire's compound that doesn't contain any wax.
So, it's fresh and ready to treat without any wax on it.

Is your answer still the same?

Thanks
Paul
prkuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:01 AM   #4
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkuhn View Post
I've already removed all the wax with a Mequire's compound that doesn't contain any wax.
So, it's fresh and ready to treat without any wax on it.

Is your answer still the same?

Thanks
Paul

Good question and tough one...

The reason why is because after compounding, you have cleaned the gel-coat down to what we call a "clean base". That is naked gel-coat.

Left unsealed it's the surface is prone to oxidize more rapidly than sealed.

If you seal then you tend to create a slip hazard when the surface gets wet. No one wants to slip and hurt themselves when out for a day of fun on the water.

The good news is gel coat surfaces tend to be thick so as it oxidizes you can continue to compound it to keep it free from oxidation.

Strangely enough, letting it oxidize would give it a little texture to make it less slippery.

Another option would be to simply wash it using our boat wash that has a little Carnauba wax in it that will both clean the surface and leave a light film of protection and the two actions together will help preserve the surface. (cleaning and waxing).

I think this is one of those situation where this is no perfect answer or solution or product due to the nature of the beast, that is a smooth surface you're going to walk on that will become wet so there will always be a slip hazard.

Have you considered applying a non-skid paint to this surface? John Greviskis just shared one on his show where they painted the entire top cap using this product.

The product is called,

Tuff Coat Marine

There's two types, the SR and the Regular. I think the Regular version would be a good match. It's a water based, rubberized non-skid paint with it's own specific primer.

Hope that helps...