Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions » Wax removal swirls

Notices

Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions If you have a question about detailing your boat with Marine 31 products or about something you saw on Ship Shape TV or in a video, please post your questions in this forum.

Wax removal swirls
Old 05-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
dgclark99

Default Wax removal swirls

Mike,

I am using the Flex 3401 buffer (wonderful machine) but I am having trouble removing all the wax. Seems to make no difference whether I hand apply or machine apply. After I use the Flex to remove the wax I get several areas that have built up wax swirls. It's as if that the wax is applied to heavily but I really try to watch that.
The swirls need to be hand buffed off (with a great deal of effort) as they seem to just build up if I continue buffing on them with the Flex.

I keep the buff-off pad clean.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
dgclark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Wax removal swirls

What are you working on?

What condition is the hull surface?

Which product are you using?

Old 05-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgclark99 View Post

After I use the Flex to remove the wax I get several areas that have built up wax swirls.

Normally you don't remove waxes by machine. It's possible if you're using a microfiber bonnet on a DRY pad but I've NEVER tried doing this with a Flex 3401 and wouldn't even consider it.

Most people that want to remove a wax by machine are doing it with a Porter Cable type dual action polisher with a stiff foam cutting pad and a microfiber bonnet over the pad. Looks like this,

Indigo Microfiber Bonnet and a Cyan, Hydro-Tech, 5.5" Foam Cutting Pad

Also, you only remove waxes that dry and it has to be a thin coat or it will just load up the face of the microfiber bonnet.

Here's my article on this topic in the car world but the same would apply to the Marine world.

How to use a microfiber bonnet to remove dried wax by machine

At this point, I'd recommend re-machine applying the wax as a fresh coat should loosen up any previously applied coat.

Allow the new coat to dry and then remove by hand using clean, microfiber towels.

Remember, thin coats are easy to remove and thick coats are going to be difficult plus simply waste product.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
dgclark99

Mike,
Thanks for your response. Frankly, I read it a couple of times thinking "Mike does not understand my question" and then I read it again and the light bulb went off. It was definitely a "duh" moment.
I don't know why I was thinking the wax went on by hand and the Flex was to buff it off. That, of course, is what was causing the swirls. I just did a large section of my boat using the buffer to apply the wax, working it in until it basically "disappeared" and then all I had to do was just a light "dusting off" with a microfiber towel. It looks great.
I thank you and my arms definitely thank you.
dgclark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgclark99 View Post

I just did a large section of my boat using the buffer to apply the wax, working it in until it basically "disappeared" and then all I had to do was just a light "dusting off" with a microfiber towel.

It looks great.

I thank you and my arms definitely thank you.

Good to hear!