Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Topside Detailing - Non-skid and molded surfaces plus smooth gel-coat surfaces » Waxing non skid

Notices

Topside Detailing - Non-skid and molded surfaces plus smooth gel-coat surfaces Taking care of and detailing all the topside portions of the hull or watercraft

Waxing non skid
Old 07-25-2014, 01:01 AM   #1
Markm

Default Waxing non skid

So what is the real truth on waxing decks and the non skid on gunnels (sp).

A competitor on SS TV says you can polish and seal with a synthetic sealer/wax and a medium or soft brush mounted in a random orbital polisher. I have tried woody wax and did not get good results. The surfaces stain and look bad.

Mark
Markm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:44 AM   #2
professionalpolishing

Default Re: Waxing non skid

first of all before you can wax all the oxidation needs to be removed.
professionalpolishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:31 PM   #3
Markm

Quote:
Originally Posted by professionalpolishing View Post
first of all before you can wax all the oxidation needs to be removed.
Yea, I plan on doing a test tomorrow to see if I can improve the look. Will use a pretty aggressive compound to cut through the oxidation. The pattern is not very deep.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markm View Post
So what is the real truth on waxing decks and the non skid on gunnels (sp).

A competitor on SS TV says you can polish and seal with a synthetic sealer/wax and a medium or soft brush mounted in a random orbital polisher. I have tried woody wax and did not get good results. The surfaces stain and look bad.

Mark
Technically you CAN wax non-skid, however the method you described is a laborious, messy job that can easily be avoided by using Marine 31 Non-Skid Clear Sealant with Carnauba.

We developed this product to make caring for your boat's non-skid surfaces quick AND easy. Since its introduction it has become one of our most popular products and for good reason - there's nothing out there that's as quick or easy to use.

Spray, wipe, buff, and you're done.

Before applying make sure the surface is clean and free of oxidation.

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Markm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Marine31 View Post
Technically you CAN wax non-skid, however the method you described is a laborious, messy job that can easily be avoided by using Marine 31 Non-Skid Clear Sealant with Carnauba.

We developed this product to make caring for your boat's non-skid surfaces quick AND easy. Since its introduction it has become one of our most popular products and for good reason - there's nothing out there that's as quick or easy to use.

Spray, wipe, buff, and you're done.

Before applying make sure the surface is clean and free of oxidation.

Good to know, I'll order some when I place my order
Old 07-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
Mike Phillips

Just to add....

Like said, sealing non-skid starts with getting the entire surface of the non-skid clean and that's the tricky part because of the grid style textured surface.

Most people that know me in the automotive world no I do everything I can by machine for a host of reasons. In the marine world I'm the same way. If I can do a job by machine I'll do it versus working by hand and this holds true for cleaning non-skid.

Cyclo makes a variety of brushes for their Cyclo polisher that will also attach to the Porter Cable style dual action polishers and these brush work GREAT for really getting the non-skid clean by machine.

Check out this thread as it has a bunch of pictures showing these brushes in action.

Ship Shape TV - Cleaning non-skid surfaces by machine with Marine 31 Port to Starboard APC

For what it's worth, I just used the white Cyclo brush with an all purpose cleaner to scrub clean the non-skid floor in both our shower stalls at home.

Even took some before and after pictures.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
Markm

I had a portion in the rear deck of the boat that was stained yellow and looking pretty bad. I used a strong acid based cleaner to remove the stain and used an aggressive cutting compound with a micro fiber cloth to remove the oxidation. I then sealed it with a synthetic sealer. It looks great but is somewhat slippery with bare feet but with rubber soled boat sneakers it is fine. I placed an order today and have a gallon of the wax that Nick recommended. I'll use it on the other side and compare the results. I tend to be rather anal on the way my boat looks. Sometimes I'm jealous when I see a beater boat because you can enjoy them without stressing on getting them clean and pretty!

Mark