Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions » Product Compatibility and other questions

Notices

Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions If you have a question about detailing your boat with Marine 31 products or about something you saw on Ship Shape TV or in a video, please post your questions in this forum.

Product Compatibility and other questions
Old 08-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
jmb18

Default Product Compatibility and other questions

My center console and the inside of my boat look similar on oxidation severity as your Boston Whaler project.

http://www.marine31online.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21

I plan on replicating the steps you did, but I would like to top it with the Blackfire crystal seal paint sealant. Any problems with durability of the paint sealant over the Marine 31 AIO? Would the Blackfire total polish and seal give the same results as the Marine 31 AIO? Any other sealant you recommend for boats? My main priorities are ease of use, durability, and protection.

Also, what color foam pad would you recommend for either AIO?

Thanks
jmb18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Product Compatibility and other questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb18 View Post

My center console and the inside of my boat look similar on oxidation severity as your Boston Whaler project.

http://www.marine31online.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21

I plan on replicating the steps you did, but I would like to top it with the Blackfire crystal seal paint sealant. Any problems with durability of the paint sealant over the Marine 31 AIO?

Great question as I know everyone wants to get the most benefits out of their time, energy and products...

If it were me? I would do a very good job of wiping the All-In-One Gel Coat Polish & Wax off and then apply and r-u-b the Blackfire Crystal Seal Paint Sealant thoroughly into the gel-coat.

Gel-coats are a lot more porous than moder automotive clear coats and the last thing you want to do after correcting the finish is turn around and dry it out by using any type of solvent to chemically strip it just to make sure the Blackfire Crystal Seal Paint Sealant will stick. But because gel-coat is porous that means you can push the protection ingredients "into" the gel-coat at least to some level. So apply it with some passion behind the pad and maybe even apply two coats.

Quote:

Would the Blackfire total polish and seal give the same results as the Marine 31 AIO?
The Blackfire Total Polish and Seal is a light cleaner/wax too, usually automotive products are not as aggressive as gel-coat or marine products because automotive clear coat paint are easily scratched and because they are laying over a colored basecoat, the scratches show up easily to your eyes.

This isn't a problem of course with gel-coat finishes.

If the oxidation or staining is light I'd give it a try, it's actually a very good cleaner/wax for light duty correction work.

Quote:

Any other sealant you recommend for boats? My main priorities are ease of use, durability, and protection.
For any gel-coat surface that is new, like new or that had been previously cleaned and polished, the normal route is to apply a non-cleaning wax or sealant. For this Marine 31 has a dedicated product that is a hybrid in that it is a blended product using both natural Carnauba wax plus synthetic protection ingredients.

Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant

Quote:

Also, what color foam pad would you recommend for either AIO?

Thanks

Usually when applying any type of AIO since the goal is to clean, polish and protect and included int the word "protect" is the idea of leaving behind a nice looking finish, (even on a white boat), then you choose "polishing" foam pads.

So in general terms, there are in order of most aggressive to least aggressive,

Foam Cutting pads
Foam Polishing Pads <------ this one
Foam Finishing Pads
Foam Waxing Pads
Foam Jewelling Pads

What type of tool are you using to apply the cleaner/wax with?

Old 08-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Mike Phillips

And since this was your first post...

Welcome to Marine31Online.com!

Old 08-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
jmb18

Thanks for the response and the welcome. I recently bought a harbor freight rotary and a Griot's Garage 6" orbital. I plan to apply the color restorer with a wool pad with the rotary. Do you recommend the AIO with the rotary or the orbital with the foam pad?
White pad in the Lake Country brand?

I would be using either AIO after the color restorer so that should remove the oxidation. It sounds like the Blackfire total polish and seal should do the job, right?

I recently applied the Blackfire (two coats) to the exterior of my hull and it gives it a good look. It's tough to tell if I'm applying product on the white hull and it doesn't feel like pressing it into the hull would make a difference but I'll give it a try. I had someone clean it and I'm pretty sure they used a cleaner wax with a rotary on the exterior. I washed with Dawn before I applied the blackfire. The guy really didn't do a good job on the inside so I'm going to tackle that.
jmb18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Mike Phillips

Quote:

I plan to apply the color restorer with a wool pad with the rotary.

Do you recommend the AIO with the rotary or the orbital with the foam pad?
You'll get much greater gloss and shine applying the AIO with the rotary buffer and a wool finishing pad, (not cutting pad).

I'm trying to do some research to find out just exactly why it is that pigmented polyester resin reacts better with wool or "fiber" pads on rotary buffers instead of foam pads on any type of tool.

Of course, this doesn't include machine polishing and waxing gel-coat finishes in new or excellent condition as foam pads work great.

It's when you're undoing damage, or removing oxidation that fiber pads on direct drive tools really excel.

The problem with using fiber pads on rotary buffers is that ANY time you use a fiber pad, that is a wool cutting or wool finishing pad, the fibers can leave cuts in the paint. In the car world these cuts are called holograms or rotary buffer swirls.

This is my buddy Bruno's RV and I took these pictures to show the holograms in the clear coat finish.

Of course my co-worker Nick and I removed the swirls using DA Polishers...

Now with boats...

There's not the same concerns with boat owners about swirls in the boat world as there is with car owners in the car world, primarily for 3 reasons,
1. Most boats are white and it's hard to see the swirls.

2. Most of the hull where the swirls will be is in the water, so you don't see them anyway.

3. Most boat owners don't know the difference between a squirrels and swirls.
I just want to be up front with you about the process you're talking about and the reality of the effects from different types of buffing pads.

Wool pads on rotary buffers create greater shine and gloss not to mention cut off the dead oxidized gel-coat faster but the downside is you could have swirls left in the gel-coat. If you don't see them or it's not a concern for you then it's not a problem.

Make sense?

Quote:

White pad in the Lake Country brand?
For applying the AIO with any tool, "yes".

Quote:
I would be using either AIO after the color restorer so that should remove the oxidation. It sounds like the Blackfire total polish and seal should do the job, right?
Yes. I always recommend doing a Test Spot on anything I work on, that means,

To a section of the hull, test out the products, pads, tools and even your own techniques to this one section and then inspect the results.

If the results look good you can take confidence in knowing that if you duplicate the results over the rest of the boat you will get the same outcome.

If the results don't look good or to your satisfaction... then you'll be glad you only buffed a small section. And of course, come back here, tell us what you're seeing and we'll be happy to help you tweak your technique and see you through to success.

Quote:

I recently applied the Blackfire (two coats) to the exterior of my hull and it gives it a good look. It's tough to tell if I'm applying product on the white hull and it doesn't feel like pressing it into the hull would make a difference but I'll give it a try.

I had someone clean it and I'm pretty sure they used a cleaner wax with a rotary on the exterior. I washed with Dawn before I applied the Blackfire.
And if there's wax on the hull, this acts to "seal the surface" and that will hinder anything getting "into" the fiberglass including water, that's why you want to seal the surface in the first place and that's why for most sealants and coatings you want to work on what we call a fresh base, that is just the material, nothing on it.

Washing with a detergent soap should remove all or some of any previously applied waxes but keep in mind, a lot of products claim to be detergent proof? To what degree who knows but washing micro-abrades anyway so washing with a detergent soap should remove most of any normal type wax.

Quote:

The guy really didn't do a good job on the inside so I'm going to tackle that.
No one ever does as good a job as the person with a vested interest...