Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing Projects » Pictures and Comments from Boat Detailing Projects » Pictures & Comments: Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - May 2015

Notices

Pictures & Comments: Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - May 2015
Old 04-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #11
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class Schedule - April 18th, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billenall View Post

Mike it was a pleasure meeting you and experiencing your passion for what you do. I would recommend anyone to take this class especially if you ever consider doing this for a living or are involved in the boat industry.

Bill Allen
General Manager
Jacksonville Marine Inc.

Hi Bill,

Likewise, it was a genuine pleasure meeting and working with you too!

If there's ever anything I can do for you don't hesitate to ask.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:21 PM   #12
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Pictures & Comments: Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - May 2015

After talking shop with Ship Shape John it was time to do as the power point presentation stated and that's...

Get busy!

All our classes are VERY HANDS-ON!

In fact over the years I would say that is the most common compliment and feedback we receive about our classes and that is there's not much sitting around time... most of the time you're on your feet working and learning.

Next up...

How to remove oxidation

The first thing we do is discuss the two general categories of boats, that would be,
  1. Painted
  2. Gel-coat

During the power point presentation we go over how these two types of finishes are very different and it is of the utmost importance to know which type of finish you're working on otherwise you will make a VERY costly mistake. I explain what the risk is when you make a mistake and how to avoid the risk to save yourself a lot of headache and expense.

Once we cover painted versus gel-coat hulls we move onto how to work on gel-coat hulls.

Now there's all kinds of ways to remove oxidation but my goal is to always show people the easiest way to do it while getting the best results.

When it comes to removing oxidation, most people think the best and fastest way to do this is to use a rotary buffer with a wool pad and an aggressive compound.

And that's how most of the industry does this type of work.

No me.

Removing oxidation with a rotary buffer and a wool pad means PUSHING HARD against the boat for hours and hours. It's incredibly hot, hard work.

What I show for medium and severe oxidation is how to reach the same goal by doing a whole lot less work and a whole lot less pushing a rotary buffer hard against the side of a boat hull that also by the way is at an angle pointed away from you making the process even more difficult using the traditional approach.

First up, I show the simplest known way to remove oxidation and that is to hand sand using a simple flexible hand backing pad with an extremely high quality sandpaper. I explain why it's important to use the highest quality sanding products you can obtain as there are 4 strong reasons.

Restoring an oxidized gel-coat boat
This is the advanced part of the class and this also tends to be the portion of the class most guys are interested in learning about. There are no books, videos or other boat detailing classes that I'm aware of where you can get this type of very specific information and the techniques to do this type of work correctly.

I always show two ways to hand sand starting with how to wrap a backing pad....

Followed by the correct way to move your sanding pad over the surface. There's a right way and a wrong way. There's also hand speed and pressure to be aware of as well as how long to sand.

Next I show an easier way to hand sand... a much easier way...

These guys are laughing now while I'm doing all the work but they won't be laughing when it's their turn!

Next up is the easiest way to sand and that's to machine sand. This portion of the class goes over how to use both air sanders and electric machine sanders safely as well as the correct techniques for machine sanding.

Machine Compounding
After sanding it's time to remove your sanding marks. This can be done a number of ways but I show the fastest way and that's using a rotary buffer with a wool pad and a high quality compound.

You're always going to want and need a rotary buffer when working on oxidized boats but the amount of work needed to remove sanding marks is FAR LESS than the amount of work to use the old way of compounding for hours and hours.

Techniques for using a rotary buffer
The rotary buffer can be a friend or a foe, it all comes down into how you hold the tool and we go over that in the class too....

That's red pigmented gel-coat or polyester resin you see on the face of the wool pad. That's normal and to be expected.

Whenever you're doing compounding work you'll have two things building up on the face of your pad and we go over why it's important to work clean and then how to clean your pads as you work around the boat.

Next it's time for the class to start sanding and buffing.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #13
Mike Phillips

Action time!

Here's the results after Captain's One-Step Compound & Polish both with a rotary buffer followed by the Flex 3401 Forced Rotation/Forced Oscillation Dual Action Polisher

Then we stripped the gel-coat to remove any polishing oils....

Then applied the Captain's Boat Coating with UV50

Old 04-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #14
Mike Phillips

During the morning portion of the class before we washed the boat we polished the metal, cleaned the non-skid and also washed and cleaned all the vinyl surfaces.

We did NOT however apply any protection to the non-skid or vinyl surfaces as that's the last step after exterior detailing.

For the interior detailing Nick shows and explains how to use the Marine 31 Mildew Guard followed by how to apply the Marine 31 Clear Non-Skid with Carnauba.

And if you look at the results... the vinyl and floor both match, that is they are a very pristine beautiful white color just like new. (This is a 2001 boat).

Nice work guys!

Old 04-21-2015, 05:28 PM   #15
Mike Phillips

Here's the graduating class for April 2015!

Eric Hutter

Jeff Wagner

Stephen Wines

Frank Saladrigas

Bob Ashley

Mike Hogan

Daniel Torres

Rinardo Wilson

Alex Rodrigues

Wayne Butts

Todd Maersch

Frank Maersch

Oscar Lee

Joe Guaino

Josue DeJesus

Bill Pagano

Anthony Camanile

Bill Allen

Derrick Steinke

Bryan Cook

Ed Yoder

Sam McGinley

Vaughn Collins

Kevin

Thanks everyone! This was a fun class and the boat looks better than new!

If you ever have any questions or need any help you're now part of the Marine 31 family, so don't hesitate to get a hold of either Nick or I.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:48 PM   #16
Mike Phillips

Here's where we started out from...

Here's a few beauty shots I took the next day as the boat was leaving....

Time to go fishing!

Old 04-21-2015, 07:55 PM   #17
FrankS

The boat came out looking great!

Really enjoyed the class, good teaching from Mike and Nick by precept and example.

The class was well designed by having teaching session breaks throughout the day giving us a chance to take little breaks. Pizza for lunch was a nice bonus

It's a lot of work detailing a boat properly but it was a lot fun working together with others in the class.

Many people made the work load light for each one but at the same time everyone had a chance to get some hands-on experience in making the boat look fantastic.

Overall I thought it was a very good class and would recommend it to anyone detailing boats as a business and also boat owners interested in how to clean their boat and keep it well maintained.
FrankS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:42 PM   #18
Jeff Wagner

I had a great time learning some new skills in the boat class. I detail cars and boats are totally new for me so this was perfect. Next time i finish with a car and they ask if i can do there boat? My answer will be yes. Looking forward to seeing what i can do with some boats now. The class was Awesome! Thank you Mike and Nick!
Jeff Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:23 PM   #19
reelfrogman

Mike,
Great class! I have been working on my own boats for years, and, as most self taught, did a lot the hard way. I learned many tips and tricks. The information from this class will not only make my work go smoother, but, go quicker too.
I really learned a lot about the tools needed and the hands on application was most helpful.
Having the opportunity to meet you and John from Ship Shape TV capped off the day.
I ordered tools and supplies from Nick on Monday and they hit my doorstep on Tuesday! (Nick returned my call within 15 minutes -means he was not dead-lol).
Thanks again!
Wayne
reelfrogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:03 PM   #20
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelfrogman View Post

Mike,
Great class! I have been working on my own boats for years, and, as most self taught, did a lot the hard way.

I learned many tips and tricks. The information from this class will not only make my work go smoother, but, go quicker too.

I really learned a lot about the tools needed and the hands on application was most helpful.
Thanks for sharing the above, this was the goal to show how to work smarter not harder while still getting excellent results.

Quote:

Having the opportunity to meet you and John from Ship Shape TV capped off the day.
John's great. He's the real deal, the kind of guy you'd like to have for a neighbor.

Quote:

I ordered tools and supplies from Nick on Monday and they hit my doorstep on Tuesday!
That's fast!

Quote:

(Nick returned my call within 15 minutes -means he was not dead-lol).
Tired but still very much alive. He's a very hard working guy and I'm lucky to have him helping with all our classes.

Quote:

Thanks again!
Wayne
Completely our pleasure Wayne, thank you for joining us!