Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing Projects » Pictures and Comments from Boat Detailing Projects » 24' Pro-Line Boat - Extreme Marine Makeover - Oxidation Removal

Notices

24' Pro-Line Boat - Extreme Marine Makeover - Oxidation Removal
Old 08-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
Mike Phillips

Default 24' Pro-Line Boat - Extreme Marine Makeover - Oxidation Removal

24' Pro-Line Boat - Extreme Marine Makeover - Oxidation Removal

We used Steve's boat for some new segments on Ship Shape TV and tonight we're going to finish the boat and then install new graphics.

Here's a few pictures from today's filming for Ship Shape TV. I'll start an actual "Pictures & Comments" thread for the full write-up plus all the before and after pictures. (This is just the sign-up thread)

Most people would look at this boat and think the black gel-coat is in pretty good shape?

Here's what it really looks like, you just need some light...

And here's some pictures from last night's project. Note that Steve and I washed the boat during the day using the Marine 31 Foam Gun some Marine 31 Wash & Wax with Carnauba

Step 1 - Compounding
First thing was to compound the gel-coat. For some of the guys, compounding oxidized gel-coat using wool pads with rotary buffers was new for them and I think one of the things they had the chance to learn was how to lean into the buffer a little to really do some chopping on the oxidation...

Joseph running a rotary buffer to remove oxidation...

This is how you lean into the buffer....

DeWALT 849X sans handle and grabbing the rubber overmold on the head of the unit and the pushing down hard...

Old 08-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: 24' Pro-Line Boat - Extreme Marine Makeover - Oxidation Removal

While some of use were compounding the black gel-coat, others were tacklinging the white gel-coat cap using PFWs or Purple Foamed Wool Pads with our new Gel-Coat Heavy Cut Cleaner/Wax and Flex 3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polishers.

The fibers that make up the PFWs are encapsulated with foam and this creates a pad that offers good correction due to the fibers leveraging any abrasive or chemical cleaners while the foam helps to maintain good gloss for finishing.

The forced rotation Flex 3401 provides plenty of power without instilling swirls at the same time.

Joeseph using a Flex 3401 with a 4" Backing Plate and a 4" PFW

Chris using a Flex 3401 with the factory 5.5" backing plate and a 6.5" PFW

Shawn using a Flex 3401 with the factory 5.5" backing plate and a 6.5" PFW

Den using a Flex 3401 with a 4" PFW

Old 08-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
Mike Phillips

While most of us were working on removing oxidation and/or using a cleaner/wax on the cap, Jay and Steve were using HEAT GUNS to remove the old graphics and the Boot Stripe.

Jay is really good at getting just the right balance of heat and pulling on the old boot stripe without tearing the old, weathered vinyl...

Steve's working on removing the boot stripe on the other side...

Success! The vinyl boot stripe is off the boat and on Jay! Thank you Jay!

You ca also see Paul following Jay and using 3M Adhesive Remover to remove the adhesive residue. Thanks Paul!

Old 08-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Mike Phillips

After compounding the black gel-coat we then polished it using the Flex 3401 with foam polishing pads to remove the holograms left by the wool pads. I didn't get any pictures of this process as I was busy running a rotary buffer and after that running a Flex 3401. Just wanted to note that we did machine polish the boat and did NOT go straight to wax after the rotary buffer procedure.

Anytime the last step on your boat is a wool pad with a rotary buffer the results are holograms or rotary buffer trails in the finish.

If you have a white gel-coat boat you might not see them but they are still there. These are simply circular cuts in the surface and they leave the surface more open to deterioration and oxidation than having a completely flat or smooth surface.

Next up we machine waxed the hull...
Here's Jay and Shawn machine applying Marine 31 Gel-Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant using Porter Cable 7424XP dual action polishers and soft blue foam waxing pads.

Here's Paul and Niki machine waxing the other side.

You just can't beat machine waxing ...

Wipe-off time...

Old 08-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
Mike Phillips

Next up... apply the new graphics. This is where Jay really shines. He has a natural talent for this as proved when he applied the new graphics to his 1999 Trans Am that we did a very extreme makover to in this thread....

1999 Trans Am Extreme Makeover - Testing M101 Foam Cut Compound

Old 08-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
Mike Phillips

Jay carefully removes the backing film and then gently and carefully squeegees out any minor imperfections...

Of course we installed graphics on the other side as well...

It's about 10:00pm now and time to start shutting down...

Old 08-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
Mike Phillips

And here's the after shots...

Old 08-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
tropicsteve

wow, the results are outstanding ! such a nice finish !
tropicsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
Mike Phillips

Thanks Steve,

It was a lot of hard buffing for the first step but it really came out just as nice as it looks in the pictures.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
OUTTA LINE

OK, let me start out by saying a BIG thank you to you, Bob, Nick, the Ship Shape TV crew and all the guys who showed up to assist in the overhaul. It was truely a satisfying experience working with such a great and generous group of guys. For those of you that don't know, that's my boat and I couldn't be more pleased with the results. I personally didn't think the hull was too bad to begin with but comparing the before and after photos is like night and day! I think the Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Cleaner Wax really made the difference. Once we were able to get through the years of oxidation the results became apparent. During filming I kept starring at the tape line of the before and after results and couldn't believe the difference.

There's so much more I'd like to say but words can't express just how pleased I am with the products we used and the results we got. I got my feet wet at the first detailing class I attended learning the tools, pads and products. This time I got thrown in!

Lastly I'd like to thank Jay. Not only did he tackle the tedious task of removing that crappy old boot stripe, he did a tremendous job of installing the new graphics. I was amazed at the work he did and the way he explained how to do it. What a stand up guy he is.

Again Mike, thanks for everything. Sailfish season is around the corner so I gotta get you and Jay down here to hook em' up.

Be seein' ya,
Steve
OUTTA LINE is offline   Reply With Quote