Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions » FRP Fiberglass Reinforced Pannel

Notices

Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions If you have a question about detailing your boat with Marine 31 products or about something you saw on Ship Shape TV or in a video, please post your questions in this forum.

FRP Fiberglass Reinforced Pannel
Old 06-18-2019, 12:34 PM   #1
flatstastic

Default FRP Fiberglass Reinforced Pannel

Have you had experience with FRP? I am in Kentucky and detail several houseboats for friends. The average boat is 78' x 18' so there is a lot of surface to do and it must be done in the water. There is no consistency to the texture of the surface. Most is that of a woven roving. This is the same product the early RV's and refrigerated semi's used for their sides. The quality of the gelcoat is not of the quality that you see on a regular boat.

Most boats are in the neighborhood of 10 to 14 years old. I can't find 1 product that will work consistently on all boats. Some of the newer boat respond well to Flagship wax and others I have to use M31 Heavy Cleaner Wax.

The results will look great on a side but when the sun hits it later in the day I can see the lap marks although the surface looks extremely glossy. It looks like the issue is beneath the surface.

This is not just my problem as there isn't a detailer that has worked in our marina that has perfected a solution to this issue. Just wondering If anyone has had experienced success working with type of construction?

Thanks for all of the information on the forum!
flatstastic is offline   Reply With Quote