Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions » help me help me

Notices

Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions If you have a question about detailing your boat with Marine 31 products or about something you saw on Ship Shape TV or in a video, please post your questions in this forum.

help me help me
Old 05-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #1
detail marine

Default help me help me

Hello guys, well I decided to start a business detailing and repairing boats. Iv done work in the past but only on my project boats. Before I start getting customers I'm doing everything I can to learn as much as possibly about detailing boats. If anyone has some good info to share I would appreciate it greatly. So far I bought a da polisher, and a boat detailing book. I get confused and my head starts spinning when I try to figure out everything I need to start this type of business. I want a 7" polisher and know which one I'm going to buy but its the pads and compounds, waxes, ect I'm wigging out about. Just not sure what to use and in what condition. I know I should always do test spots but I want to have all the necessary tools on hand before I start working. What's your estimated cost for me to get completely set up with all the tools and materials I will need. Thanks guys and sorry for all the questions.
detail marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: help me help me

Hi detail marine,

Welcome to Marine31Online.com!

First, the next time I have a boat detailing class scheduled I'd highly recommend you clear your schedule and attend it. Nothing beats hands-on training.

Just look through any of these write-ups and the pictures alone will show you how much you can learn.

Pictures and Comments from Boat Detailing Projects

Next, if you want to make money detailing boats then you have to learn how to do one-step details, that is you need to learn how to use a one-step cleaner/wax so you only have to go around the boat twice.

Most boat owners will not pay you enough money to make it worth your while to do 2 steps or 3 steps to a boat, especially a huge boat. So you need to learn to use one-step products.

2 and 3 step procedures will always give you better results especially for colored gel-coats, that is anything but a white gel-coat finish.

But the market is what it is and knowing how to use a good one-step will be your friend. I'd also suggest doing what I call,

Cherry Picking

That is turn down customers that have horrendous boats that have never been maintained or never regularly been maintained. There's enough boat owners out there with boats in decent shape to work on so let the worst of the worst go to the other guy.

Most guys charge by the foot when detailing, so call around in your area like you're a potential customer and ask for some quotes to get your boat detailed inside and out to get a feel for your market.

Besides the above, you're going to need all the normal tools for detailing boats, brushes, APC's, cleaners, polishes, fabric cleaners, fabric protectants, vinyl products, non-skid products, metal polishes, plastic cleaners and polishes, machines, buffing products and pads and lots of microfiber towels.

Id' highly recommend clicking on this link,

Pictures and Comments from Boat Detailing Projects

There are 5 fully documented boat details with hundreds of pictures and text that will educate you about what's going on in the pictures.

Invest some time into yourself by reading, not scanning these write-ups and then start asking questions on this forum. And when starting a thread to ask questions, limit your questions to around 3 questions as it makes it a LOT easier for someone like me to answer them.

When you start a thread and ask 12 questions it gets physically time consumer to "format" the replies in a forum. I've been doing this a long time so I know that which I speak of.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
detail marine

Thanks for the reply mike. I definitely plan on coming to one of your boat detailing seminars as that will be the best thing for me. So far i have done tons of research, buying books, reading tips and techniques on forums. I bookmarked tons of great information I plan to study. Also thanks for the one step advice as I was worried about spending too much time on certain boats and losing money. I'll either turn it down or overbid incase I were to get the job it would be worth it. I currently have a full time job outside of this type of business so I plan to start off doing marine detailing and repairs part time. My plan is to focus more on boat rehab, fixing gel coat, Fiberglass repairs, bottom paint ect but I'm definitely going to tackle the detailing part as well. Attention to detail is my biggest focus and providing the best customer service possible. My goal is to one day have my own shop doing what iv wanted to do since I was a kid. I will definitely look over the link you posted as well. I plan on buying a Makita rotary polisher and load up on some marine 31 products.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by detail marine View Post

I will definitely look over the link you posted as well. I plan on buying a Makita rotary polisher and load up on some marine 31 products.

I'd recommend the DeWALT 849X over the Makita. Much better full size rotary buffer as far as the design goes

Old 05-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
detail marine

Thanks mike, I will check it out.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Thanks mike, I will check it out.

First, I cut my teeth using a Makita. I purchased my Makita in 1987 when the "at that time" NEW VARIABLE SPEED DIAL was introduced.

I still have it today.... that's 27 years. So while I fed myself using a Makita rotary buffer for years the new DeWALT 849X really brought out a buffer with all the features a detailer, (car or boat), looks for. I was actually involved with providing DeWALT with my own feedback on what to include for this new design.

Here you go...

DeWALT DWP849X vs Makita 9227C Rotary Buffers

Makita has never asked for any input from myself or from Detailers that I know of? It would be to their benefit.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #7
detail marine

That's great information mike. I will definitely be picking up the deWalt when the time comes and as for my business plan I think I'm going to focus more on the mobile auto touch up, fixing scratches, dents, bumpers, headlight restoration and paintless dent repair and detail boats as they come. I know the marine market is a tough route from the research iv done lately. I originally wanted to do fiberglass repairs and gel coat restoration but I'm not seeing as much of a demand for it compared to the auto paint touch up side. Now its time to read read and read some more. I love learning everything I can and hope to build a REAL, SUCCESSFUL, PROFITABLE business
Old 06-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #8
Mike Phillips

Quote:

That's great information mike. I will definitely be picking up the DeWALT when the time comes
Also get a good backing plate, wool pads for boats and foam pads for cars and if you end up doing a lot of gel-coats you're going to want a steel pad cleaning spur for your wool pads. Keeping your pads clean is vital when buffing out boats and cars but especially when doing heavy compounding with wool pads on gel-coat boats.

Quote:

Now its time to read read and read some more. I love learning everything I can and hope to build a REAL, SUCCESSFUL, PROFITABLE business

Knowledge is power!

Old 06-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #9
detail marine

Thank you mike, going to check out autogeek for supplies now