View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
briggss3

Default Porter Cable Kit Question

Total newb here....

I just bought the $199 Marine 31 Porter Cable 7424xp kit with 2 foam pads and the all-in-one polish wax and the carnumba wax from Autogeeks as they told me it pretty much has everything I needed. Now that I am reading around I wonder if that's correct, especially to questions below. I have a 16yo 23' CC (SeaPro 235CC)Fishing boat that is moderately oxidized on the external hull and internal sidewalls. Some heavier oxidation on the topside and some really heavy oxidation on the center console and around the interior transom wall. I am not trying to get the hull to showroom quality (heck, it has numerous spots of spider cracks on the top side and in the floor), but I am very interested in stopping further damage as well as protecting from fish blood, chum, etc.

I own 1 boat and will use this 1-2x year max.

Questions:

1) Is the Porter Cable all I need? Its overwhelming when trying to read up since the discussion often involves 3-5 different polishers, etc. One for this, one for that, etc. All I have (and can afford) is this 1 Porter Cable.

2) Are 2 pads enough for me? This kit includes 1 Lake Country orange and 1 blue foam pads. That's what comes in the kit and it sounds like others talk about have all kinds of pads here and there.

3) Do I need a wool pad for the heavier oxidized spots? Or can I wet sand with my porter cable on a GFCI? If so, what do I need to order for wet sanding? Or better yet, should I just use what I have in the kit and save money?

4) There is no brush in the kit, so I plan on using a Home Depot nylon kitchen brush and cleaning into a towel as I go - assume that's correct. But what do I do when done for the day? Dawn soap and water and air-dry?

5) The all-in-one gel coat polish and wax - is that good enough for my heavier oxidized spots? I also bought some Shurhold buff magic - would that be a better choice on the heavy oxidation? Also, I read in one of your posts saying that the Porter Cable may not be strong enough for heavy spots, is that true?

6) Do I need a small backing plate and pads for the tighter areas? Also, how hard is it to do the console oxidation whereby it looks like it will have to be hand buffed? What do I need there?

7) Last - My Plexiglas window is quite bad and has spider cracks swirls in it as well as 1,000,000 dead mosquito carcasses fused into it. Is there anything that brings it back from the dead?

Sorry for the long post. I spent that last several days hitting the various forums looking for answers.

Steven
briggss3 is offline   Reply With Quote