View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
Interactive

Default Re: Which pad should I use for AIO Marine 31 Polish/Wax?

Thanks for the quick reply, Mike. Clearly I need the guidance. :-)

My boat is all gelcoat. The only painted surface is the bottom paint.

I've tried a variety of products and methods and never seem to get the look I'm hoping for. Prior to this year I think I was too focused on what I thought was oxidation. There are a few spots on my boat that stay out in the sun (the pulpit, bow) but most of my boat stays under a covered slip all year. I never have "chalky" residue at all. I just lose the gloss during the season.

In prior years I compounded with a mild product then went right to wax or sealant. I think I was addressing the wrong problem (oxidation) and skipping the step I should have been doing (polishing).

My boat has a lot of surface area (40' aft cabin cruiser) so the idea of a single step is appealing. So the AIO polish/wax caught my attention if I can get the results I want.

I tried it last weekend on some areas. I started with the white 7.5" but the pad started to fall apart after 30 minutes. I wanted to blame the pad, but it's possible I was doing something wrong (too fast, too much pressure?).

I had a blue pad on hand as well and got decent results. But it still didn't "pop" with the like-new look I was hoping for. It's also a 14 year old boat (2000 model) so I may need to temper my expectations. I'm also not willing to go over my boat with 3-4 passes of anything. I'd like to spend some time actually using the boat. :-)

So I should move to a 5.5" pad...will order hat today. Based on my condition, am I using the right polish product and, if so, which color pad should I use?
Interactive is offline   Reply With Quote