View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: stains on gelcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post

Hi- I was looking for something that will remove stains from Gelcoat.
Hi Mike,

Welcome to Marine31Online!

Quote:
I have two things I was working on:

1. A Brown water stain mark form the boats early years of staying in the water all the time and
At this time we don't make a specific product for removing this type of staining outside of compounding the hull. There are other companies that do however. I also post to TheHullTruth and here's a thread where the members there offers some product ideas to help another member with this same issue.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...ter-stain.html

Quote:

2. a color difference on the side of the boat. I replaced some decals on the side of the boat with different graphics; but I have spots that are whiter than the rest of the boat- anything to help with this? I think I know which product of yours will work; but looking for some advice.
This is called ghosting and I have some information typed up about this issue in the below thread and there's pictures to look at too....

Ghosting on boat after removing letters

Click the link and take a look at the pictures and here's what I posted at the bottom of post #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

About the only thing you can do to try to remove the ghosting is to either,

Compound the hull using an aggressive cutting compound with a wool pad on a rotary buffer.

Wet sand the area and then compound out your sanding marks using an aggressive cutting compound and a wool pad on a rotary buffer.

Sad to say, all to often you'll always be able to see the tale-tale sign of ghosting if you know where to look.