Default Re: Porter Cable Kit Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggss3 View Post

Total newb here....
Hi Steve,

We were all newbs once in our lives.

Quote:

I just bought the $199 Marine 31 Porter Cable 7424xp kit with 2 foam pads and the all-in-one polish wax and the carnumba wax from Autogeeks as they told me it pretty much has everything I needed.

This kit?

Porter Cable 7424xp Marine 31 Boat Polish & Wax Kit

Quote:

Now that I am reading around I wonder if that's correct, especially to questions below. I have a 16yo 23' CC (SeaPro 235CC)Fishing boat that is moderately oxidized on the external hull and internal sidewalls.
16 years old huh?

Quote:

Some heavier oxidation on the topside and some really heavy oxidation on the center console and around the interior transom wall.
That sounds about right for horizontal surfaces.

Quote:

I am not trying to get the hull to showroom quality (heck, it has numerous spots of spider cracks on the top side and in the floor), but I am very interested in stopping further damage as well as protecting from fish blood, chum, etc.
Completely reasonable expectations and the right thing to do as the owner of a boat.

Quote:

I own 1 boat and will use this 1-2x year max.

Questions:

1) Is the Porter Cable all I need? Its overwhelming when trying to read up since the discussion often involves 3-5 different polishers, etc. One for this, one for that, etc. All I have (and can afford) is this 1 Porter Cable.
The Porter Cable is an entry level tool when it comes to buffing on neglected, oxidized gel-coat boats.

The Porter Cable is very effective for removing swirls out of clearcoated cars and millions of clearcoated cars have been de-swirled since the Porter Cable was introduced from the Wood Sanding industry to the car polishing industry.

When it comes to heavy oxidation on gel-coat boats however it "can" work but it's not as powerful as either a Flex 3401 or a rotary buffer and when it comes to removing or grinding off years of oxidation you really need more power to do the job in a time-efficient manner.

That said, with enough time and the right pads and chemicals you can remove the oxidation on your boat.

More to come....