View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 12:25 PM   #16
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Help selecting a buffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magRT496 View Post
Hey Mike,

I finally got around to working on the boat. I picked up the Griots 6" buffer, the lake country orange thin pro pads, and the heavy cut cleaner wax. This combo did a great job removing any oxidation and putting a smooth shine on the gel coat.
But it didnt seem to be cutting the gel coat much at all. There's some very faint yellow stains on the sides of the hull and the orange pad didnt touch it. It even had a hard time with the little black spots and stains.

Then I went and picked up the lake country thin wool pads as recommended in your detailing book. I did notice the foam/wool combo pads lets more swirls on the surface and still didnt really touch the stains.

Should I try the grey pad? If that wont help I may just pick up the Flex 3401 to get the job done right like i should have originally.

And last question.... Ive noticed the bottom of hull is taking on a slight yellowish tint. Occasionally its sits in the water over night because the marina closed before i got back. Can i use the cleaner wax and buff the bottom?

Thanks.

Well when it comes to this kind of work

More power is better

For anyone detailing neglected boats you really want to star with a rotary buffer and finish with an orbital if you don't want to inflict holograms into the gel-coat.

The FLEX 3401 has a TON more power than any free spinning orbital and that's just the reality of it.

And of course a rotary buffer has more cutting power than a FLEX 3401 it's just they tend to leave holograms in the surface when using fiber pads and aggressive compounds and polishes.