View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Help with my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Mike

You will see when you find the boat ... It's a lot of work ... My biggest concern is if the flex is that much stronger than the PC or should I just get a quality rotary ... This Klutch rotary from Northern Tools I have seems to slow when I apply pressure so maybe it's not up to the task....thanks for you help

If you want to do the job the fastest and most effective way then get a quality rotary buffer a wool cutting pad and a wool finishing pad. I'd also recommend a steel spur and if you really want to make the job easier, get a pad washer.

The Flex is a totally different tool than a PC or "PC type tool". I've been using and teaching classes on how to use the PC since it was borrowed from the wood sanding industry and introduced to the paint polishing industry. As long and in most cases longer than anyone still either working in this industry or a live in this industry. So I'm very familiar with the capabilities of the PC and all the knock-offs of this wood sander.

The Flex 3401 is a forced rotation, dual action polisher. You couldn't get the pad to stop rotating no matter how hard you pressed down against it. Ain't happening.

The benefit to a rotary buffer is the pure, grunt power and ability to abrade a surface. The benefit to a Flex 3401 is lots of power but two actions, rotating and oscillating. Thus you can avoid the holograms caused by a rotary buffer.

I know in the boat detailing and boat "owning" world holograms are not as much of an issue as they are in the car detailing world for a host of different reasons.

That is until you start working on a dark colored boat.

I only type and make recommendations based upon real-world experience and I have not tried the Purple Foamed Wool Pad or any wool pad on an oxidized gel-coat surface so I don't know how well the results from this type of tool and pad will compare to a fiber pad on a rotary buffer but you can be sure I will find out.

So by all means, if you want to go with the historically time-proven method for knocking out an oxidized gel-coat boat go with the rotary buffer.