View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
Shtexas

Default Cockpit Carpet Repair

With my Sea Ray still under repair and no way for me to start compounding the hull, I decided to clean and repair other things that need to be done.

The cockpit carpet that comes in Sea Ray boats are prone to failing quickly. The carpet itself is still good but the rubber backing deteriorates quickly and becomes brittle and comes off.

Instead of paying over a thousand dollars to replace the carpet, I decided to just replace the rubber backing and get a few more seasons out of it.

Here's pictures of the carpet before

I cleaned off all of the loose brittle rubber backing with a brush and some compressed air.
Here is the backing after I applied the liquid rubber and allowed it to dry some.

I still need to remove the tape that i put on to keep the rubber off of the carpet edging and snaps. I helped my friend apply this same backing to his carpets 3 years ago and they're still holding up well. After I remove the tape I'll clean up the edging really well to remove some stains and clean the carpet really well before putting it back in the boat.
Shtexas is offline   Reply With Quote