View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Porter Cable Kit Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggss3 View Post

4) There is no brush in the kit, so I plan on using a Home Depot nylon kitchen brush and cleaning into a towel as I go - assume that's correct. But what do I do when done for the day? Dawn soap and water and air-dry?
It's really hard to wash waxes out of foam pads. That's because wax is not water soluble. If a wax or more specifically, the cleaner/wax you bought was water soluble then it would wash off when it rains, you wash the boat you you used the boat on water.

So for the same reason we all LIKE waxes because they don't wash off easily they also don't wash out of pads easily.

You can use a detergent dish washing soap and work it plus some water into the foam and then squeeze and squish under running water and repeat till you feel like you've removed most of the wax. Then set the pad aside to dry.

Conversely, most pro-grade compounds and polishes ARE water soluble and can be washed out of pads.

Quote:

5) The all-in-one gel coat polish and wax - is that good enough for my heavier oxidized spots?
Only testing will tell you.

Used with a wool pad on a rotary buffer where the wool pad and the rotary buffer supply a LOT of muscle a light cleaning wax can do wonders.

Used with a foam pad on a dual action polisher, a much less powerful tool and pad a light cleaning wax will remove light oxidation but it will require more time for heavy oxidation or a stronger product, pad and tool.

Quote:

I also bought some Shurhold buff magic - would that be a better choice on the heavy oxidation?
If I remember correctly, this product is like sand in a bottle so yes it will grind or abrade oxidized gel-coat off faster than a light cleaner/wax.

It won't leave the surface sealed though.

Quote:

Also, I read in one of your posts saying that the Porter Cable may not be strong enough for heavy spots, is that true?
Correct and I've stated the same above.

Gel-coats are hard and heavy oxidation is best removed by either sanding or by using a rotary buffer with a wool pad and an aggressive compound. That's the nature of the beast.

More to come....