Marine 31 Forum

Marine 31 Forum (http://www.marine31online.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions (http://www.marine31online.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Non-skid detailing know how.... (http://www.marine31online.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238)

vividtom 04-26-2015 09:30 PM

Non-skid detailing know how....

Hi Mike,

I'm detailing my bay boat and need a little clarification on detailing non-skid, which I have been unable to find searching the forum.... Hopefully you can point me in the right direction!

After thoroughly cleaning the non-skid deck areas using a PC 7424 with a white std brush and PTS cleaner..... Before applying the non-skid sealant w/carnuba, I'm concerned about the finish of the smooth gel coat areas of the deck between the non-skid surfaces, around hatches, console, etc....

Should you/Do you prep these smooth areas and remove the oxidation using the heavy-cut oxidation remover (applying by hand) before applying the non-skid clear sealant w/carnuba? I don't want the deck to have slippery spots, but I don't want to seal these areas that have oxidation. What's the best approach?

Thanks!

-Tom

Mike Phillips 04-27-2015 08:30 AM

Re: Non-skid detailing know how....

This type of detailing is some of the most complicated there is... just the nature of the beast...

What I do is clean the non-skid first. Next tape off the non-skid next to any smooth gel-coat you want to compound, polish and wax. Buff the smooth gel-coat till finished. (whatever your process is), then remove the tape and apply the non-skid sealant.

The taping off is a paint but if you don't you'll get compound and wax residues into the textured non-skid. It's worth the time an energy in my opinion.

I can post pictures if you like?

:)

vividtom 04-27-2015 08:58 AM

Yeah with as much non-skid as there is, taping off all the areas will be a PITA.... However that sounds like the way to go to achieve the best possible finish!!

Some clarification regarding the 3/4" - 2" smooth sections around hatches and in between non-skid sections.... Once those areas are polished and ready to be waxed, can I apply the non-skid sealant to entire deck non-skid areas including the smooth sections in between, or should I try to apply it to just the non-skid areas?

Seems like it would be just another layer of protection for those small smooth sections, but I want to make sure I do this the right way and not end up having slippery spots on the deck! ;-)

As always... Thanks Mike for your insight and recommendations!

-Tom

Mike Phillips 04-27-2015 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vividtom (Post 1058)

Yeah with as much non-skid as there is, taping off all the areas will be a PITA.... However that sounds like the way to go to achieve the best possible finish!!

Real paint but "yes" worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vividtom (Post 1058)

Some clarification regarding the 3/4" - 2" smooth sections around hatches and in between non-skid sections.... Once those areas are polished and ready to be waxed,

can I apply the non-skid sealant to entire deck non-skid areas including the smooth sections in between, or should I try to apply it to just the non-skid areas?

I would apply it to just the non-skid areas but if you get some overlap onto the waxed smooth sections it's not going to create a slip hazzard.

:)